25 December 2013

Miyato Culture Festival....

On 26 October, Miyato held their culture festival.  I arrived early and was shown how to start a fire--and after a lot of hard work, I managed to get one started, had my picture taken with it and then watched as it was sadly extinguished, all within a minute of my getting it started.  Sadness... =(  
However--I did it!!!!!!!

 The parents began to arrive, and the festival started with a taiko performance.  I love the Japanese drums and am happy every time I get to hear them.  After a small opening ceremony, the students split off into two groups.  One group stayed inside the gym and played with tops, bean bags and other small games.  The other went outside and tried to make fire.  I helped out a bit, but mainly took pictures and held the kindling wood in place.  It was fun to watch the students.




After a while, the two groups switched and I bounced back and forth between the two.  Once the allotted time was up, we all gathered back inside to listen to one man tell us a story.  Not quite sure what he was saying, I just know it was about the island.  Afterward, the students did a presentation to explain each of their stations.

Second grade made pin ball machines to play.  The first years made a ring toss.  The third and fourth years made a haunted house--and I am happy to say that I could lend them my witch hat ^.^  The fifth and sixth years made a ball toss.  It was a lot of fun.  Yumi-sensei and I went around together and participated in each event and then I went around on my own to take pictures of other people.





The one below is of koucho-sensei from Naruse playing ring toss.  One of the reasons I love going to Miyato events is that I always get to see her.  She is an amazing woman, and very kind.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment