Saturday, I mentioned to Kimie about how Ashley and I had smelled and seen some delicious looking (and smelling) meat while at Sendai Castle, but had quickly turned away when we discovered that it was cow tongue. All weekend she told me that I would have to try it before she went back home, so after we retrieved her train tickets at Sendai station, we went looking for a restaurant.
We found one on one of the lower floors of Sendai Station. One that was not too crowded and therefore did not have a wait to be seated. I would be lying if I said I had been comfortable with the idea of eating the tongue of a cow--in fact, I still feel squeamish about it. There were a couple times when I just wanted to turn and run, but I kept telling myself that I am here to try new things, and that it was just meat.
Kimie ordered for us: the salt and the miso platters. She would not let me read the menu, which should have been a sign for things to come, but I was too focused on not thinking about what we had just ordered to really pay attention.
Our food arrived and we swapped some of the meat so that we could both try the salt and the miso. The plates came with meat, pickled salad, rice, soup, and some sort of vegetable seasoned with miso (VERY salty...). With no small amount of hesitation, I worked up to my first bite and found myself enjoying the flavor. I would say it is better than most of the beef I normally eat, once you get past the mental/psychological pitfalls.
Miso plate (the better of the two)
Salt plate
Next, she had me try the soup, which also had a kind of meat in it. It was not until after I had tried the meat, and found it a little flavorless and definitely not as good as the main dish, that she told me it was cow tail. I am so glad I only had two pieces of meat in my soup, and both were gone by the time she told me. The broth of the soup was really good though ^.^
Cow tongue is a very popular dish in Sendai. You can actually buy some as omiyage (souvenirs), including a snack that you do not have to cook or heat up.
Kimie enjoying her meal =D
You tried some other new food this time. Let's go to the yakiniku restaurant when you come to our area. You can eat new food again. I don't want to tell you before you try.
ReplyDelete