22 May 2012

Aoba Festival....

Sunday Miyuki-san and Beth-san picked me up around nine-thirty and we went to Sendai for the second day of the Aoba festival.  Miyuki-san drove most of the way before we parked and got on a train for the rest of the trip.  

We departed the train at the stop after Sendai Station, and walked to the main area were the festival was being held.  They had several tents with food and beverages--the food being reasonably priced and the drinks being super expensive.  Since we were all more thirsty than hungry when we first arrived, we headed to a convenience store for some water.

One of Miyuki-san's friends and his two year old daughter met us near the tents and sat with us while we ate lunch.  We ended up getting Ishinomaki soba noodles--oiishi (delicious ^.^)!!!!

Afterwards we walked around and took pictures with one of the parade vehicles (unfortunately, not with my camera).  Miyuki and I were the only two in our group to get up on the "float" for pictures.  We also saw where children could go get dressed up in traditional style clothing and then stand out front for their families to take pictures of them.  Shortly afterward, Miyuki's friend and his daughter left.

We watched the parade from a shady spot we found (it was really warm outside).  Before the actual start of the parade, some firemen where performing with a wooden ladder. About twenty people held it still while one person ventured up and performed feats of strength.  It was pretty amazing to see.  While waiting for the actual parade to begin, Beth noticed a spider crawling across the shoulder and back of the person in front of us.  The spider threaded out some web, that connected to the woman's husband, before using it to cross to him.  We watched it for quite a while, Miyuki being the closest to the pair, and therefore to the spider, before we decided to try to find a better vantage point for the parade.





We used the subway tunnels to make our way across the street, where the people in the parade had their attention and performances trained.  We found a nice little spot in the shade, and watched until the parade was just about finished.  At one point, a set of performers stopped in front of us and did a few dances.  It was here that I recognized the benefits and drawbacks to being tall.  Benefit: I can still see when people stand in front of me.  Drawback: because I am tall, a lot of people were pushing to get in front of me, forcing me to step back and lose good vantage points.  





After the parade, we went to Starbucks to sit and talk for a while before going shopping in the Loft (a seven-story store) and the train station.  Miyuki and I were looking for the special glasses so we could see the solar eclipse.  Unfortunately, the only store selling them was sold out =(

We took the train back to where Miyuki had parked, then drove back to Yamoto.  I was able to get my first glimpses of Mastsushima, and I definitely need to go back there again.  It is considered one of the most beautiful places in Japan.  Miyuki said that the best time of year to go is Autumn, but I live close-by so I can go multiple times =D
 Treat that Beth-san bought for me to try.  I forget what it is called, but it was very delicious ^.^

1 comment:

  1. I think the sweets is called "Nerikiri." I likt it, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete