23 March 2013

Goodbye Year One....

In Japan, the school system works a little bit differently.  They begin school in April, which means they end it in March.  Since it is policy in Japan for sensei to change schools every three to seven years (it depends on the area, and I know a few sensei who have been at their schools for ten years, but that is rare), the last couple weeks of school are filled with excitement and nervousness.  Also, March and April are the busiest time for the sensei, so they can be seen constantly running around trying to get things done.

Where the sensei are going is not announced until the last day of school, which this year was 22 March.  They then have less than two weeks to complete anything they need to for their current school, have a meeting with their new school, and get moved over and started there.  Lots of changes and lots to do.

I have been saying goodbye to my schools since Monday, 11 March.  It was the last day at my Monday school--which is also the smallest and the only one I will be returning to next year (I did not know that until the 18th, though).  At the end of the day, I gave a small speech to the sensei, and then they followed me out into the entryway and waved goodbye until my car went down the driveway and out of sight.

Friday, 15 March, I said goodbye to my Tuesday school.  All day long, students handed me little gifts.  It started when two sixth grade boys brought me a tissue box holder they (the six-two class) had made for me.  The fourth year classes had all written me notes and drawn me pictures and then bound it together in a book.  The third year classes had done something similar, but not nearly as elaborate.  I received thank you cards from first, second and fifth grade (on Tuesday, I had gotten thank you cards from sixth grade).  Two fifth grade girls handed me presents as I shook their hands goodbye.  I left that day feeling very loved.  One of the third year sensei told me she would see me again in April--she was not accepting that I probably would not be returning to the school next year. Again, the sensei followed me to the entryway to say goodbye.

Monday, 18 March, I said goodbye to my Friday school.  I presented a speech and card to the sensei at the end of the day.  When saying goodbye to the second graders, they made a bridge with their arms for me to walk--well, crawl--under.  It was pretty cute. The sensei followed me to the entryway, but I stayed a little bit longer to say goodbye to the remaining students.  One of them grabbed my hand and started taking me home with him.  At that point, I still didn't know which group of schools I would be with next year (due to a few schools combining, the board of education regrouped the schools for next year.  All of my schools, save my junior high and Friday elementary school, have been split up), but I'd had a feeling all day long that I would be in group one, which consists of my Monday school, the junior high closest to my apartment and an elementary school in the nearby hills.  My suspicion was confirmed later that evening when I checked my e-mail.

Yesterday, 22 March, I said goodbye to my junior high school.  We had a completion ceremony during second period and the students went home around eleven-thirty.  I did not leave until nearly four-thirty.  Most of the day was spent just sitting around and making a thank you card, as well as preparing my notebook for next year.  The sensei had all thought that I would be joining them for the goodbye party on 27 March, so it came as quite a shock to them when they found out I would be in Kyoto that day, and therefore unable to attend.  The vice-principal kept asking me "really?" in Japanese, and all the sensei made sounds of disbelief (except the one who had invited me to the party and I told her that I would not be able to attend).  So, they had me do an impromptu goodbye speech, and then my JTE lead the good luck cheer for me.  I will really miss them.  Part of me is really sad that I will not be able to attend the goodbye party.  However, I am really excited about Kyoto =D

At one o'clock yesterday, they held a meeting to announce where the sensei would be going next year.  I found out that one of my sensei will be joining me at Yamoto daiichi junior high school, so I am happy about that.

Overall, I am sad.  It has been a really good year, and I cannot believe that it is already coming to an end.  I am soooo very happy that I decided to stay for a second year.  I am not ready to leave Japan.  

This evening, I embark on my adventure to Kyoto.  Nikki and I will be there for a week, and then will head down to Hiroshima for a couple of days.  I am really excited about this trip, but I can almost guarantee that I will not have the ability to write about it until I return home.  Enjoy your week, and stay tuned, because in a week and a half, you will all have a ton of posts to read ^.^  

No comments:

Post a Comment