I had the opportunity to talk to my family on Sunday morning. After some problems with my microphone (stupid Skype...), we were able to talk.
Brittany, Tati and I went to a matsuri at one of the nearby temporary housing sites. Basically, people set up a flea market, or even "yard sale," in the parking lot and also provided entertainment.
We helped put out the shoes and the clothing under one of the tents. After that we were suppose to mingle and sell, but we were also encouraged to join the festivities as well. There was a clown present (*shudder*) who made the kids balloon animals.
I shouldn't have been surprised to see some of my students at the matsuri, especially since we were not too far from two of my schools (the junior high and my Friday elementary school). They became excited when they recognized me under the tent and kept saying my name. At one point I began to sword-balloon fight with two of the little boys. The one that I definitely recognized as my student was a lot more timid and would attack me but then run away laughing. The other would not let up. It was pretty funny. By the time his balloon broke, we were both panting and I guess I was very red in the face.
We all joined in on the traditional women's circle dance. I kept having to look at one of the older ladies in front of me to understand what I was suppose to be doing. After four rounds of the dance (I had joined late because I had been sword fighting and then got caught when I got closer to try to snap a picture of Tati and Brittany), the three of us were called to the stage to sing "LoveFool" by the Cardigans. It was a lot of fun.
We were there for almost three hours, and it ended up being a lot of fun. It felt really good to get out and do something for the community, and for my students and their families. I hope to get other opportunities for this type of thing =) I need to learn more Japanese.
Sunday ended up being one of the best days I have had in Japan. After the matsuri, we went back to Brittany's and I made dinner. Teriyaki ginger chicken ^.^ Yummy!
No comments:
Post a Comment