09 August 2012

Tokyo Tour....

Saturday, Kimie and I woke up early to catch the train to Tokyo so we could get on our tour bus.


We drove past the Imperial Palace, the Diet Building, and other Royal member buildings, including a guest house and the home of the Emperor's family (not the Emperor) on our way to our first stop: Tokyo Tower.


We had a limited amount of time to spend at Tokyo Tower, so we were only able to go to the first observation deck.  Tokyo tower stands at 333 meters (1092.52 feet).  The first--better known as the main--observation deck is 150 meters (492 feet) high. In comparison, I have been to the Eiffel Tower, which stands at 320 meters--or 1050 feet--tall, and been to the second observation deck (which I cannot seem to find any height information for) and I have been to the Seattle Space Needle, which is 184 meters (605 feet) high.

I love heights, and I love being in those types of buildings =)  Might be why I love flying so much ^.^








Anywho, after Tokyo Tower, we got back on the bus and drove around for a bit viewing other sites around the city before coming to a stop at the fish market where we had lunch.  Kimie took me to a sushi place where we had sushi bowls.  I had negi toro don (minced tuna)--it was so very yummy =D  I had a very happy stomach afterwards ^.^ After lunch, we walked around the market for a bit, looking at all the different shops, and Kimie had me try tamago yaki, which is an egg that is sweetened.  It was pretty good.  I ended up getting some Japanese placemats, which I will laminate before I use, and coasters.  They are pretty ^.^


Once back on the bus, we drove back towards Tokyo Station and got off at the Imperial Palace, where we could only really see the front gate and the moat.  We were there for a little bit though, and it rained a little--which was really nice.


After that, we saw a brewery building that is suppose to look like a giant beer mug with a strange gold structure next to it, and the Tokyo Sky Tree, from a distance.  We got off the bus at spent some time at the Buddhist Temple that Kimie had taken me to in March, and Kimie and I wandered around trying to find a good picture of the Sky Tree.



We passed by the sumo gym--which I wanted to go explore--and then went over Rainbow Bridge before our final stop at a large network station on the bay.  They have a small replica of the Statue of Liberty next to a lot of shops.  In front of the network building, a K-Pop (Korean Pop) band, called MYNAME, gave a small concert that we stood and watched. 

The tour concluded back at Tokyo Station.  Kimie and I took the subway back to a temple we had passed on the bus, and discovered that it was a Buddhist Temple.  They were having a small festival and we stopped to watch the drums for a bit before heading to Ueno for dinner.

We ate monjayaki, which is a little bit like okonomiyaki, but not quite as pancakey.  It was delicious! I think I liked it better than okonomiyaki--especially the spicy one that I ordered ^.^



Once finished with dinner, we tried to hurry to make it to some fireworks, but we could see them going from the train and figured we would be too late, since the walk from the train station to the fireworks site would take us about fifteen minutes.  So instead, we went back to Kimie's apartment and relaxed.  We watched some of the Olympics and then the Brain World Cup before going to bed.  Both of us were exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment