Today during fifth period, Yumi-sensei (she is not the main teacher but sits in the sixth grade class throughout the day and helps out) asked if I could do naginata--today's lesson being "I can/I can't....." When I said I couldn't, mainly because I did not know what it was, she told me that it is a form of Japanese Martial Arts and asked if I would like to join her after school to practice.
Once I was finished meeting with all the sensei that I have classes with next week, I met Yumi-sensei in the gym and she started showing me naginata. She told me that at one point in Japanese history, naginata was used only by women and is linked to the other martial arts (I was confused about what exactly she was trying to tell me here).
It is practiced with a "pole" (the naginata) that is two meters, twenty centimeters long. Footwork is importance, as well as relaxing the hands, elbows, and shoulders.... she kept having to tell me to relax my beginning stance. She taught me several different moves and then kept asking if I was sure it was my first time practicing. Apparently I have really good footwork. We also did a partner set of movements for tournaments and such. It was a lot of fun.
She said we can practice every Monday after school, and that next week she will teach me some moves that are more complicated. I very much look forward to it =) She is a licensed instructor and she said she will try to bring the traditional practice uniform next time for me to try =) If I get to, I will definitely ask to have pictures taken!
I am super excited!!!
On my way home, I pulled off to the side and took some pictures of the ocean. Today was a beautiful day. Nice and sunny =) This morning would have been a better time to take pictures, but I think the shots I took are still good ^.^
Oh, and I was given some snacks today--I think omiyage from someone's trip to Tokyo-- and one was namadora (生どら). Mine was a purple bean paste between two pancakes. Very yummy ^.^
No comments:
Post a Comment