03 April 2012

Meeting...

This morning I had my first meeting with one of my four schools.  This one is not very far away and I think I can get by with riding a bike (I have to get one) or even walking to school.  I still have not received my schedule, but the school thinks that I will be there every Tuesday.

Everyone was very nice and I think I did pretty well, considering my lack of Japanese.  At least I was able to introduce myself and tell them that my Grandpa is Japanese ("Ojisan wa Nihongo desu".... there is a better way to say that though.  Instead of Nihongo, I should use Nihon--- I forgot what Ryo-san told me -.-;;).

All the teachers have limited, if any, English skills so communication will be difficult at first.  I will need to study my Japanese extra hard so I can speak with them.  I think my attempts at Japanese today were appreciated.  Ryo-san said that I did very well, but it is always hard to tell.

I was shown my desk (Yay ^^) and told where I can place my outdoor and indoor shoes.  Overall, I think things went well.  I was given a small tour of the school.  There are about 360 students at that school, and the third and fourth years are in a different building.  The school was affected by the Tsunami and so the first floor is being repaired at this time.

Oh, I forgot to mention: yesterday while I was walking to the store to buy food, two boys passed me on their bikes.  As they passed, one said "hello" and when I responded, the both became excited and started waving at me while saying "hello."  It was a very positive experience ^^  I still feel a little apprehensive, but overall I cannot wait to start teaching =D

1 comment:

  1. oh, you should say, "watashi no ojii-san wa nikkei jin desu." That means "My grandpa is Japanese- American." "Ojisan wa nihongo desu" means "Uncle is a Japanese language." I know they understood what you wanted to say.

    I hope you will enjoy teaching English. I hope I will, too. lol

    ReplyDelete