23 September 2011

Praying Manti and Orchids....

A couple weeks ago, Bambie and Josh sent me am Orchid in the mail, but it had been pretty thrashed either by the poor packing job or the FedEx people (possibly both).  The box had no "fragile" or "this side up" indicators on it, and the plant itself did not seem to be very secure inside the package.  The result was that two of the buds that had been on the plant, plus the fully bloomed flower fell off and the stem had been broken, the three remaining buds were above the breaking point and so they, too, were lost.

I immediately looked up Orchid care and found that the plant could be salvaged, so I did the necessary care.  When I went out to spray it today (Orchids like humidity so I have to spray the plant a couple times a day), I noticed that on one of the nodes below where I cut off the broken stem, a little nub is beginning to form.


I do not think you can see it very well in the picture, but it be there and it was not a week ago so I be excited.  My Orchid be growing *big smile*  I absolutely love the flower.  When I spent time with Bambie, Josh, and Keira in Georgia last summer, we went to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens and I saw my first Orchids.... Lots of them, in all sort of different colors, shapes, and sizes, and I discovered that I absolutely love them =)  So Bambie and Josh be AWESOME (but also in trouble) for getting me one!!!!!!  I will post pictures as it grows, just because I be insane ~.^

Tuesday night, Sean asked me to come out front, and with a frustrated sigh (he only seems to want my attention when I am reading, and I was really into the story.... Grrrr....) I went out the front door.  He immediately directed my attention to a praying mantis sitting on the window sill.  I quickly went back in to take some pictures.
(If you look closely, you can see his tongue ^^)

After about the third attempt to get a decent picture (my camera kept wanting to focus on the things around the mantis), my subject became irritated at the orange light that comes from my camera with or without the flash, and flew at me.  He hit my face, crawled across it for a moment, and then flew to the screen door behind me.  I tried to get some more shots, but made sure I covered the annoying light so I did not bother him again.  Stupid light--what is it for, anyway?!




 So yesterday I drove two hours down to Delhi for a second and "final" interview with California Psychiatric Transitions, and it only ended up being about eight minutes long.  Luckily Heather had the day off, so I spent some time with her.  We went to go see "The Help" which ended up being a slightly funny, but sad movie.  I enjoyed it overall.  I think Heather and I were the only two people in the theatre (there were only three other people in there with us) that laughed at the funny parts.  That seems to happen a lot, lol.  I think that if it had not been for Heather, I would have been really upset about that drive.  I just wish I had more time down there, but I had to get back to Sacramento.

This Saturday is the seminar.  I am getting really excited and nervous.  I need to get my things together and concentrate on preparing to get ready.  They want me to be energetic and friendly--do you think hyper counts, lol.  I just have to be my bubbly self, you know, the crazy person everyone sees after they get to know me..... Okay, maybe not THAT energetic ^^;;;

Adieu!!  

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your seminar. I'm sure you can do well.

    Let me know about the seminar when you finish it.

    Kimie

    ReplyDelete