27 October 2012

Little Red Riding Hood....

At my Monday school, this week we reached the second to last chapter in the textbook for sixth grade (I swear, we're going to be done with the book by the time Winter Vacation comes, and then I do not know what we will teach after that.... luckily for me, Yamaguchi-sensei leads the class, so I am sure that he will have some ideas).  The chapter is about stories.

Yamaguchi sensei showed me the text book and asked which stories I know from the collage of pictures.  I pointed out Cinderella, Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, and Hansel and Gretel.  He asked which two I could recite and tell to the class, and I responded with Little Red Riding Hood and Hansel and Gretel--though I know all four of the stories well.  He asked if I could gesture the different parts to make it easier for the students, and without really thinking about it, I told him that I could make puppets for them.  Mind you, I do mean paper-puppets.  I do not have the time nor the materials to make actual puppets.  So, by our next meeting (5 November), I need to have two sets of puppets.

I have started with Little Red Riding Hood, and this is what I have come up with so far:
 The two faces of Red; one is the normal little girl and the other is the shock at "Grandma's" big eyes, nose and teeth.  I will post the finished products when I am finished.
 The wolf.  This one I am actually proud of =)
 Grandma's house as first seen by the wolf.
 Grandma's house as seen by Red.
 The path to Grandma's house through the woods.
 The flower meadow Red stops in.
 The two faces of Grandma. Sick and happy to be free of the wolf.
 The Hunter.

So this is my project for this and next week.  There will be more of the wolf since he has so many faces.  This has taken me most of the week, and I still have Hansel and Gretel to do.  Each of these will be placed on Popsicle sticks, or something similar. 

The whole thing has left me contemplating the story of Little Red Riding Hood--and why we say "riding."  Is it because the hood rides on Red?  It can't be talking about the little girl who walks all the way to Grandma's house....  Interesting thoughts....

Now though, I need to go get ready for my day.  Going to a school festival for my Monday school, then to get my hair cut (YAY!!!!) followed by a karaoke-birthday-halloween costume party! It should be a lot of fun ^.^ 

I hope all is well with everyone.

Oh, and this picture I just really like.  I was trying to draw the wolf sleeping down after his meal, but this came out instead.  It was so cute, I am having trouble erasing it to start over.  Everyone says it looks like a fox:
 

1 comment:

  1. I like your puppets! Clever and adorable.

    About "Red Riding Hood" : she is so called because her hood/cloak thing would have been in the style of hoods worn while riding. Or that was simply how the French word "chaperon" was translated when Perrault's version was translated into English. The German version is "Little Red Cap."

    ReplyDelete