28 November 2011

Black Friday....

Ohayo Gozaimas!

I cannot believe how early "Black Friday" started this year.  Some people held Thanksgiving on Wednesday so they could go camp out in line on Thursday to get into the stores that would open that night--stores like Wal-Mart and Toys-R-Us.

What was even more surprising to me is the emptiness of Costco's own parking lot when I arrived to work on Friday.  We have a special three-day sale going on that we have termed as "Black Friday" sales, so I anticipated arriving to a full parking lot like I did on Tuesday (eight hundred and eighty people in the store within the first half hour of it opening), and having to search for parking elsewhere.  Instead, there was plenty of parking when I arrived.  Though I would not necessarily classify us as "slow"--the store is never slow, we always have a steady stream of people during business hours--I would say that it seemed to be close to normal.  The attitudes of members seemed to be less patient than normal, but otherwise it was a pretty steady day.

I think that if I did not have to work, I definitely would not have gone out on Black Friday.  I found it amazing though that there was little traffic on the roads.  Everyone was either at the stores shopping, or at home sleeping after being up all night to get all the best deals.  By the time Costco opened, most of those deals had expired, or were coming to an end.

Yesterday they had me selling stamps again--I like to think of it as reminding people that Costco carries stamps ^^  When I returned from my break, I thought I would be assisting, but the supervisor asked if I would mind continuing to sell stamps (I do not mind.  It is not the most thrilling job ever, but at least I get to talk to lots of people and hear funny stories and comments).  He explained that earlier in the day we had been in ninth place, but in the time that I had been doing stamps we had jumped up to fifth o.o  Pretty crazy.  After that I had one manager tell me that I had done a phenomenal job and thanked me, and another manager tell me "good job!" with a pat on the back.

Yes, my ego and confidence did boost a little.  I am not quite sure what I am doing, and I am not going to analyze it much (I do not want to lose it).  It felt good to hear that I am doing a good job.  After closing I was assigned to go-backs, which I absolutely love because then I am able to learn the store better, which helps for when I have people come up and ask me where things are.

Last week I applied to two Denny's, so here is crossing my fingers that I will hear something back.  Today I have an extra shift, which places me over thirty hours for this week =D  I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday, and that you all had a great Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment