On Thursday, 4 April, I had meetings with my schools in the morning, and then my fourth attempt at obtaining my Japanese Driver's License in the afternoon.
I met one of the office staff at the grocery store near my house, and we traveled over to my three schools for the year. The junior high school, which I had helped out at over the summer, said they were excited to work with me. The new elementary school was very brief. In all the meetings, the office staff person did all the talking. When we arrived at the school that I had last year--my smallest and possibly favorite school--they were in a staff meeting, but cheered at the sight of me. It made me really happy and I definitely felt loved. They followed us back out to the entry way, several sensei trying to talk to me, and I felt awkward with the Interac guy there.
When we got back in the car, he told me how proud the staff is of me for warming my way into the hearts of my schools. Go me =) It's easy though, really. They are such kind, warm-hearted people.
After that, he drove me to the driver's licensing center in Sendai. The test itself is relatively easy. The problem comes from the fact that the examiners are extremely picky. I am not even joking. The first time, I failed because I stopped on the line at the stop sign, instead of before it. The second time, I failed for going approximately four kilometres under the speed limit. The third time, I failed for not looking both ways ENOUGH when going through an intersection. It's insane, I tell you. So, I was feeling pretty nervous.
Since I had not expected to get a ride from the office staff, I did not have my nook or anything with me to entertain myself while I waited for my test. Foreigners applying for their Japanese License can only do so between the hours of one and one-thirty on a weekday, and then sit with everyone else who is waiting to take their driver's test. Foreigners are the last to be called, so even though I got there first two out of the four times I took the test, my number was always the last, or second last, to be called. I was also in my suit, since I did not have the opportunity to go home and change after meeting with my schools.
The nice thing about the Japanese driver's test is that the very first time you take it, they drive you around the course and show you what they want you to do. The bummer is, basically no one passes on their first try. I have only heard of two people, and one of them took the classes beforehand. That is one of the tricks.... You take both classes (three thousand yen, or thirty dollars each), and you are more likely to pass your first or second try.
So, I sat for a little over an hour, trying not to fidget and reminding myself that I would pass this time. I took the test, and when I was handed the blue "return to staff room" card (pink equaled fail, blue is passing), I nearly jumped for joy. I had to contain myself, I wanted to skip all the way back to the staff room.
At that point, all bubbly energy, I had to wait until three-thirty to get my picture taken, and then ten minutes later, I was being handed my driver's license and being told a bunch of rules concerning my spankin' new license.
I don't think I stopped smiling for the rest of the day.
The funny thing is, I only need the car for one school, and that is the school I see every Monday--well, almost. At least it is the once and week school, and not the once a month school. I can either walk or ride my bike to the others, which is nice because I want to start getting in more daily exercise. After Kyoto, my desire for junk food has dwindled and I am hoping to start eating a lot healthier.
I hope all is well for any of you reading this =)
No comments:
Post a Comment