14 January 2013

Christmas, Part Two....

I arrived in Sacramento around two-fifteen in the afternoon on 26 December, almost exactly an hour before I left Komatsu on the same day.  Time differences are so trippy.  The flight back was basically all night until we were a few hours outside of California (whereas the flight to Japan is all daylight).  By the time I landed, I had been up for over twenty-four hours.  

Grandpa, Grandma and Dad took me to a Mexican restaurant because they knew that was what I wanted to eat above all else.  I could not finish my full wrap, and had to give most of it to Dad.  I felt kind of bad, but it was just too much for me.  I found throughout the week that I couldn't eat very much and while my tastebuds rejoiced, my stomach rebelled.  Just not use to American food any more, I guess.

I fell asleep on the car ride, and by eleven I was curled up in the bed and passed out.  I don't know how long it has been since I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, but I know it's been a long time.  Dad woke me up at seven-thirty the next morning so I could go to my appointment at the DMV.

No one was there when I got there, so it made it really easy to fill out the form and just go to any random, open "window."  I explained my situation and they made fun of me a bit for being jet lagged.  They took my picture (evil....) and then had me take the eighteen-question multiple choice test, assuring me that should I doze off, they would come nudge me awake.  Gee, thanks =P  It was pretty funny.  I actually finished the test really quickly, and passed with no problem.  The DMV man who was helping me printed off my temporary license and sent me on my way.

Once back at the house, and after collecting a few things, I was once again snuggled in bed and out for the count.  I didn't wake up until four-fifteen, when Dad called to let me know he was on his way.

Friday was spent just hanging out and enjoying everyone's company.  Bambie, Josh, Keira, Jeremy, Shin and Heather had drove out from Utah to spend the week with us, which was really nice.  I was very happy to see them.  Every night for the rest of the week, I stayed up with Bambie until three in the morning. 

We had our Christmas dinner Friday evening.  Grandpa made roast, broccoli salad, a potato and carrot dish, and jello.  We also had some yummy rolls.  It was a good dinner.  Keira slept through it, poor thing was so tired.

Saturday, once everyone had woken up and got out of bed, we opened presents.  I tried to get everyone something that was unique to Japan, but there were a couple gifts that just called the person's name so I got that instead.  It was really nice just being able to sit around and talk with everyone.

I spent a lot of time playing with Keira.  It was really good to get to see her.  I cannot believe how much she has grown and how articulate she is becoming.  Such a sweet and funny girl.

Sean didn't end up making it down, which was kind of a bummer.  It was really great to see everyone else though.  I am glad I got the time to spend with them, especially since I will not be back in the States for at least another year and three months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment