12 January 2010

The Future...

So I've basically wasted most of this day...  My whole plan was to get up between six and seven this morning, go to the gym, study, work on my book, and organize my room a bit...  Instead I got up at ten, took Luke to work, and spent most of the day looking at the housing market in Seattle and Eugene (that will be explained in a moment).  It is now after two o'clock, and I still have to get some of what I wanted to do done...  especially since I now have less than four hours since tonight we're going to go get food at Baja Fresh at six and then go see Avatar at seven-fifteen.  Ugh...  I hate being lazy!!!  I'm also extremely tired because I didn't get to sleep until long past midnight last night.  Then I made the mistake of laying down instead of staying up when I got up at seven this morning...  I felt tired but okay at that point, now I just feel exhausted!

On a lighter note...  and one that just makes me smile lots and lots, here is my teacher's response to my first paper of the quarter:  "Hi Emily...good paper.  It was unlike a lot of other papers I get on this topic, because you clearly put a lot of thought into it, so it was interesting to read.  I wondered what Ares would say, if you asked him why he was the god of war.  What was he protecting, or what was he trying to get?  He's a fascinating god to try to relate to. When I think of Ares in my life, I guess I'd think of my own ego...the part of me that wants to protect myself, and to get things that I want.  I think the Greeks were dubious about really *worshipping* that part of ourselves, as I think you are when you talk about Athene being another alternative.  Ares was definitely an important part of the Greek and Roman myths.  I might disagree with you, though, that his "intelligence" was a step-up for him in the Roman system.  The Romans were some of the most brutal people in the world, and they were very intelligent about it.
I think Ares is an important god, but like I said he didn't really evoke positive feelings of worship among the Greeks, and the Romans used him as a tool of fear to keep people enslaved.  Athena with her crafts, on the other hand, does evoke those feelings of worship, as does Hestia with her still, sacred flame, and Artemis with her wild rides through the night.  Anyway, great paper...it was fun to read and think about.
Hope you have a great quarter, and if there's anything you need, or if you have any suggestions for how to make the class better, just let me know,"

This just made me feel really excellent.  It be so weird to be back at LTCC, especially after being at Davis.  Oh, and to add a little bit of pride to this blog:  I found out last night that UC Davis is ranked number forty-two in the world!  Craziness...


So, anyway, the original reason I sat down to write this (besides apparent procrastination...  I need some motivation, or maybe just some sleep) is to talk about the future...  Now, for me Graduate school won't start until 2011 (it seems like such a long ways away), but being the planner that I (try to) be, I've been trying to research the schools to try to find the best fit for me.  Unfortunately, unless I get into (and then decide that the prestige be worth the money) Stanford, it looks like this time I will be going out of state.  Luke has always wanted to live in Seattle, and I've always been interested in both Washington and Oregon, so this be where my search mainly lies.  Both schools are great for psychology (both be in the top fifty in the country), and both places are really beautiful.  I am slightly concerned about Seattle, given that Luke and I tend to both suffer from Seasonal Affect Disorder, and so I worry that with the constant rain we will be depressed all the time.  Eugene (where the University of Oregon be) is nine and a half hours away from South Lake Tahoe, which means I'll be leaving everyone behind (again), except for Luke (of course).  It will be weird, but it seems like that will be how things go.  Seattle, on the other hand, is approximately thirteen hours away.  There be pros and cons to it all, and I will be applying for some closer schools, but so far the one that I really seem to like is the University of Oregon.  Although the University of Washington also has a neat program which be mentor and individual based.  Cost of living is lower in Oregon, and it also less populated (neither Luke or I would like to live in a town bigger than Davis, which had 60,000 people), but they still both be bigger than what we want.  The other selling point for Oregon be that I would only be two hours away from my granny, so I would hopefully be able to see her more.

The other schools I will be applying to are:  Stanford, University of Nevada-Reno, University of Colorado-Denver (ha!  Another UCD, lol), and...  uh, that might be it. I guess that be enough.  I think I be a little nervous about applying because I didn't get into UNR the first time, despite that my professors at Davis all believed it to be a mistake.  It has made me self-conscious and afraid that I'll be rejected again, so I be applying for many.  I just can't go more than two years without being in school (hell, I couldn't even go a year, as I am signed up for classes at LTCC just so I can be in class), so I have to get in somewhere!  It be interesting the things we do, the lengths we go to, to do the things we love.  Which just makes me wish I had the motivation to work on my book...


Any way...  some interesting thoughts and then I'll be done.  Have you ever noticed how many people don't slow down or pull over when an ambulance/firetruck/policeman (with their siren on) goes by.  I don't know if it happens everywhere, but I've noticed it a lot in Tahoe.  It be really scary...

Well, my drying be done, so I need to switch out laundry, which will be a good opportunity to start studying/editing/cleaning.  Have a wonderful day ^^ I'll write tomorrow or Wednesday to let you all know how Avatar be (I be so excited!!!!!!)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment